Wednesday 14 July 2010

A higher force?

I am not a religious man. Those of you that know me will know I am in fact a steadfast atheist. As time goes on though I increasingly am beginning to believe in a some driving force, something akin to fate that affects my life each and everyday.

I am talking about Sods Law

This is in fact not even my first blog entry about sods law (although you may have to go back a bit, back in blogs in fact), I regularly fall afoul of it and today was no different.

Each morning I catch the 8:35 bus to work. Some mornings it has been late, and so this morning rather than leave myself 10-15 minutes I decided I would leave at 8:25 leaving myself 10 minutes for a walk that takes at slowest speed 5.
I admit to not even being particularly surprised when at 8:29 I watched the bus speed past with me still 200m or so from the stop. I sprinted and just reached the bus as it pulled away.

If the driver knew how to use wing mirrors he was clearly just feeling vindictive. After another sprint and a deviation from the bus route I reached the stop and caught the bus.

Later on I was at work waiting to hear back from companies, it had been a relatively slow morning so I decided to have my lunch break. I went downstairs heated up leftover chinese and headed back upstairs. At exactly that moment my email went *ping* and I received not one but two responses. Halting from eating my lunch I replied to each and continued eating. As I went to get myself a drink and a yoghurt, the phone rang, and I reverted from lunch to business mode. It was then I noticed that my phone was dying.

I finished the conversation and looked for a usb cable that had until that day been sitting in my office, it had gone. Cursing I thought up a quick alternative and set up a voicemail directing people to call my other phone. No sooner had I done this than my other phone beeped to tell me it was dying too. Cursing some more I rang my boss, explained the situation and headed home where the charger would be.

Naturally I received no further phone calls over the afternoon.

Now of course there are logical explanations for nearly all these happenings
1. companies contacted me in their lunch break, when THEY had spare time
2. the guy who rang was in response to an email I had sent
3. My boss had taken the camera which used the usb to develop photos
4. both my phones were low on battery because I had been out the night before and therefore had not had much chance to charge them.
5. And I had been using it a lot thus causing the battery to run down

Alternatively some higher power simply want to screw with me. It is after all, a lot of coincedences.

No comments:

Post a Comment