Monday 5 July 2010

Ducking and Weaving

We as a race seem to want to avoid responsibility.

The phrase "It wasn't me" is one we have all used at one time or another. Yet when companies do it, it can really become tiresome. Trying to shirk responsibility is never going to be the best approach to a satisfied customer. There are some businesses where unsatisfied customers are more dangerous than others and it is always surprising when such businesses fail to understand this.

One such business is the property/lettings market. Potential tenants are quick to ask their friends for opinions and online reviews are perhaps paid attention to more than most. Even one damning review can put off a potential buyer. After all, there is very little room for error.

When I began looking for a flat I was quick to ask the opinion of my friends. One stated, "avoid x, they have messed us around" so I did not even bother to look. As easy as that my potential custom is gone.

Yet here I am a week on from the discovery of a problem and my new letting agency is yet to solve it. They have been quick to admit their mistake, but what they intend to do about it has not been so easily forthcoming.
To explain, myself and my girlfriend were informed by 2 separate agents that an active phone line was available in the property. A week on from agreeing to take the said property it is revealed this was a lie. They have since admitted they are in error but have not suggested they will solve the issue.

Ignorance is not a valid excuse.

I am beginning to tire of their ducking and weaving in an attempt to somehow shift the blame, or at least the cost of dealing with the issue. You could get a dongle and then you would not need a phone line was one such attempt. I could, yes, but I want a God Damn phone line.

The interesting thing in all this is that they have admitted we are by no means at fault. It is possible the tenant is at fault for failing to keep an active phone line, it is possible the agency is at fault for failing to penalise a previous tenant for making off with the number and thus leaving the line totally disconnected.

It is certain that the agents who showed us the flat are at fault for providing false information. The fact that they were misinformed is fairly irrelevant. It is their job to get it right and failure to do so makes them culpable.

At the moment they are looking into their options and trying to avoid blame. I am also considering my options, and how much damage I can and should do them as they continue to fail to accept responsibility. Whether we have a legal case due to misrepresentation is one thing. (and early impressions suggest we do) Naming them in this rather damning review is another thing altogether. Should they solve this satisfactorily I will say so, otherwise may I advise anyone reading this to avoid letting a property with The Flat Agency!

No comments:

Post a Comment